Friday, January 9, 2009

HELP!!

I am so ready to be done nursing. So, how do I go about weaning the lad? I already have a few ideas in mind, but I would love to hear what has worked for you! He's 10 months and still very much likes to nurse, so I don't think it's going to be easy! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

9 comments:

Ashley said...

That's a hard one. I was 3 1/2 months pregnant with Emersyn, and Adi was 17 months old when I was finally able to wean her. I ended up going to stay with my parents and she was so distracted with cousins and family it took her mind off of nursing. When I came home she was just doing nights, and then we had our anniversary and went away for the night, and she never looked back.
I hear that starting to supplement bottles every other feeding is good, and to get them to eat baby food from the table as often as possible. Or you could just take it away completely, but that will be painful. Good luck Mel.

Brenbren said...

Yeah I got nothing. I just stopped cold turkey and Adam could have cared less. I think he actually preferred the bottle. I have heard that if they are close to 1 year of age you should just go straight to sippy cups so that won't have a problem switching. Good luck!

KT said...

why are you wanting to stop? Is he keeping you up at night or do you want your body back?

Buddy didn't quit until about 22 months and I just slowly removed a feeding from about 12 months until then.

X is still really happy nursing and while I wouldn't mind my body back, I'm trying to be patient and roll with it.

It's hard though! Dr Sears has some good books that might talk about such things!

Good luck!

The Boehme Family said...

Let me first warn you that for me, it was hard. I thought for sure for several days that my children might starve to death and it would be all my fault. My boys never took bottles, so we went right to sippy cups with soft "nipples" (or whatever you call them on a sippy cup - the Nuby brand were usually our best bet). Sure, they are fun to chew, but this is the frustrating part - all the kids wanted to do was CHEW them and throw them at me. We thought maybe juice was the way to go since the kids had never had juice before and the sweet taste would lure them in to the sippy cup. Well then, ALL they wanted was juice. If it's what you're ready to do, stick to it and assume that Quinn is not going to die. We went through lots of days of only eating food and not drinking, but eventually they all learned how to use the sippy cup and we moved on with life. Good luck!

The Boehme Family said...

Oh, and I have never tried "cold turkey" before - I needed to wean myself too. I started by cutting out a feeding and giving the sippy cup and then cut another feeding after that and eventually, even though they weren't on the sippy cup quite yet, it became their only option.

Head Over Hills said...

Brin loved to nurse. Bell and Haylee pretty much weaned themselves. I just started to nurse Brin less often. And then we just kind of stopped one day. It took a few days before she stopped wanting to nurse. I had to have something to distract her with whenever she got really whiny. It was pretty rough on me so I treated myself to some Diet Coke during those days. Whenever Brin wanted to nurse I either gave her a little swig of coke or some sixlets. (I am not recommending this) It helped both her and I to survive though! I wish you the best of luck!

Emily said...

You are weaning? I thought you just said you were going for the "long haul"! What happened?

Michelle said...

When I weaned Preston (which ended when he was 14 months), it was slow and drawn out-- about 6 weeks. He was hard to soothe, so I was chicken I guess-- the last 4 weeks or so he was only getting nursed to wind down for sleep. I cut down the amount of minutes I would nurse him, and gradually stopped giving him the option at all. The feeding just before going down for the night was the last to go. Weaning was terribly difficult for him-- he asked to nurse for 6 months after we were officially finished. I felt guilty, but I knew it was time for us to be done and I really didn't want to nurse while I was expecting baby #2. Good Luck with however you decide to go about it!

Alicia said...

I'm almost to the same boat with ya... with Abby I just replaced nursing during the day with eating meals-- she loved yogurt or fruit or candy or whatever :) so we gradually reduced so she only nursed once before bed and once when she woke up (it was so great cuz she'd wake up and i'd nurse her and she'd go back to sleep for like two hours-- we got up at like 930 every day, those were the days...) anyway, i had to start getting up in the morning with her and we'd eat breakfast taking care of the morning nurse. the going to bed nurse was the hardest, but i just stopped offering, it's good if you can give them a drink or snack or something like a half hour before bed so they're not starving. it only took like three days with her and she adjusted. Now Luke loves his nursing, so I may need some tips from you. Good luck!