Tuesday, March 10, 2009

What do you feed your toddler?

Quinn has officially made the switch to whole milk and he loves it! My big issue right now is what else do I give him. He pretty much eats whatever we do, but it's not always the best. I should take this as an opportunity to improve our healthy eating, but lets be honest, it's not easy. It was easy to just feed him a jar of veggies. He loved those, but now he gets table food and doesn't love them anymore. We try to eat healthy, but it doesn't always happen, and when it doesn't I feel bad that Quinn isn't getting a nutritious meal either.
Do you have any tricks or special snacks or meals that you feed your kids? I seriously need any ideas I can get! Thanks!

7 comments:

Ashley said...

It really is hard huh? A few great things I love are crackers and cheese, or yogurt and apples, or I make smoothies out of frozen fruit, yogurt and whole milk. As far as veggies go I still struggle there. It's just hard to get your kids to eat them. Good luck. As parents I think we are always too hard on ourselves, but I bet your doing great!

Sarah said...

This sounds weird, but Johnny really likes veggies from cans. So weird, because canned veggies don't always taste so good, right? But I think because they are soft and easy to pick up he likes them. I buy him canned green beans and peas and he eats them right up. He also really likes those fruit cups with mixed fruit in them.

crystal carlson said...

One of Jace's favorite meals is homemade chicken noodle soup. He loves it and it's a great way to get in his veggies! Plus, we always have leftovers to feed Jace when Danny and I are eating something he doesn't like or shouldn't have. We do this with a lot of Jace's favorite meals--lasagna, ravioli, pancakes, etc. I just always make extra to have for Jace for another meal of two. I hope this helps and I'm sure you guys are doing an awesome job :)

Michelle said...

Mel, a favorite book for me right now is "Simply Natural Baby Food" By Cathe Olson. A few things Rebekah likes right now: Shredded apples, pears, or carrots, small chunks of avocado, bananas, or canned fruits. She likes canned green beans chopped small and has also done zucchini and squash in small bites. Boiled or scrambled eggs are another favorite right now (you can just serve yolks if you are worried about allergies) and I always try to keep a few pancakes or waffles in the fridge for an emergency meal! HTH-- it is easy to get in a rut so the book has helped me a lot :)

Camille said...

Wow! I'm glad you asked because people had lots of good suggestions! Another thing I like to do is steamed veggies.

Hope you are doing well over there!

Brenbren said...

Make it easy.... baby carrots, frozen veggies that you only have to warm up, slice up an apple, try canned veggies/ fruit. AND kids learn by example.

Tyler and ShaeLee May said...

My kids love the frozen veggies which are really easy, but maybe cuz i load them up with butter and salt. If it gets your kids to eat them....why not?